Every skin type is different. While some people are trying to pamper their dry skin, we have people on the other side who are looking for home remedies for oily skin. Oily skin is a result of excess production of sebum under the skin by our sebaceous glands. While sebum is not bad in itself and is required to protect the skin and hair and keep them healthy, excess of it can be a cause of concern. The good news is we can control the production of this sebum and that too in the most inexpensive and harmless method by following these simple home remedies for oily skin on the face. Before we rush to these remedies let us see some lifestyle changes that will help in avoiding the skin from becoming too oily.
How To Reduce Oily Skin – Some Lifestyle Changes:
The oily skin which is a genetic gift is difficult to be controlled. However, the following are the certain lifestyle changes that will help in reducing the frequency of the skin getting oily:
- Avoid Unhealthy Food: Avoid fried and oily foods which are otherwise also not good for health and especially for the skin if you have oily skin. Avoid high sugar foods which are anyway not good for health, as well as processed.
- Keep Heavy Cosmetics at Bay: It may seem to be a good idea to hide the oily skin with heavy makeup, but this can make the conditions worse. Heavy makeup on oily skin can easily lead to breakouts.
- Choose Cosmetics Judiciously: When you know you have oily skin why not go for water-based cosmetics rather than oil-based ones? Look for the non-comedogenic products as they are less likely to clog the pores.
- Wash your face frequently throughout the day.
- Use oil control face wash.
Natural Home Remedies for Oily Skin on Face:
There are various reasons due to which your face may secrete excessive sebum such as puberty, pregnancy, stress, UV rays, seasonal changes, hormonal changes, etc. however, there are solutions to it right in your kitchen. Here we will show you the 10 best home remedies for oily skin, that will help in making it less oily. Let’s explore some of these.
Honey is skin’s best friend and one of the best gifts that nature has given us. Its antiseptic and antibacterial properties make it capable of curing most skin conditions including oily and acne-prone skin. Honey being a natural humectant helps in keeping the skin moisturized, but not oily. Here is how to cure oily skin using honey:
How To Do It:
- Take some pure/natural honey
- Spread evenly on the face making a thin layer of the same
- Let it sit for 10 minutes to dry
- Rinse with lukewarm water
- Repeat this process once daily to keep your skin hydrated but not oily.
- Honey will show instant results on oily skin and using it regularly for 15 days will make your skin less oily.
2. Cosmetic Clay:
The healing clays or cosmetic clays are widely used to absorb excess oil from the skin. The French green clay which usually comes in a powdered form is well-known for treating oily and acne-prone skin. Here is how to control oily skin using green clay.
How To Do It:
- Take a teaspoon of clay and add some rose water to it mixing it continuously to make it pudding-like The resultant mixture is also known as a French green clay mask which is spa-worthy.
- Apply this French green clay mask to your face spreading it evenly and letting it dry.
- While removing, use water rather than trying to peel it off. This is a much gentler way of removing the mask causing minimal irritation to the skin.
- Use this mask once a week for best results.
- Within 2-3 applications you will observe the vast difference in the oiliness of your skin.
Oatmeal is capable of absorbing the excess oil from the skin and also soothing any inflammation that has occurred on the skin. You can also combine the oatmeal with honey, yoghurt or even fresh mashed fruits such as banana, papaya or apple for best results.
How To Do It:
- Grind ½ cup oatmeal into a fine powder and mix it with warm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to this mixture and prepare a mask for the face.
- Apply this oatmeal face mask to your face and let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water and pat dry your face.
- Alternatively, you can even massage your face with this mixture for about 2-3 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- Both these methods are equally effective oily skin remedies.
- This oatmeal mask can help get rid of oily skin in just 10-12 days.
4. Egg White and Lemon:
This is a wonderful remedy for treating oily skin. Both the ingredients work extremely well in tightening the pores, and a combination of both is sure to do wonders. The acid in the lemon absorbs the oil and egg white controls the oil production. However, people allergic to eggs must avoid using this home remedy.
How To Do It:
- Mix together 1tsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1 egg white.
- Apply the mixture thus prepared on the face and keep this face mask on until it dries.
- Remove with lukewarm water and pat dry your face.
- This is a very effective oily skin remedy which shows results in just 7 days.
It might sound strange, but almonds are not only great exfoliators but also oil absorbers. Ground almond when applied on the face, absorbs the excess oil and impurities from the skin making the skin look clearer and oil-free.
How To Do It:
- Finely grind a handful of almonds to make 3 teaspoons of ground powder.
- Add to it 3 teaspoons of raw honey.
- Mix it properly to make a fine paste.
- Apply this scrub to your face and gently massage your face in circular motions.
- Pat dry your face after washing with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, you can make a face mask by simply grinding the almonds to paste and applying it directly onto the skin.
- Let it dry for 10-15 minutes before you rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
- This is a wonderful face mask for oily skin that can show results in just 10 days of regular use.
6. Aloe Vera:
Aloe Vera is the skin’s best friend with a solution for almost all skin and hair-related problems. Besides, we even have scientific evidence to show that Aloe Vera is extremely useful in treating flaky skin that has been caused due to oily patches. Here is how to avoid oily skin using Aloe Vera:
How To Do It:
- Apply a thin layer of freshly extracted Aloe Vera gel on the face before going to bed and leave it on until morning.
- In the morning wash your face with lukewarm water and rinse it off.
- See the glowing and moist skin which is absolutely oil-free.
- However, if you are new to Aloe Vera and haven’t tested it on your skin, it is advisable to apply a small amount of it on your forearm and wait for 24 hours. If no reaction occurs then it is usually safe for use.
- Regular use of Aloe Vera can help you get rid of oily skin in a fortnight.
The salicylic acid contained in the tomatoes is extremely beneficial in treating the acne caused due to oily skin. The acid helps in absorbing the excess oil and unclogging the pores. This is how you can prepare the tomato mask to unclog the pores and exfoliate the skin.
How To Do It:
- Make a pulp of 1 tomato and mix it with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Apply this mixture onto your skin and massage in circular motions.
- Let it dry for 5 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Alternatively, you can simply rub the tomato slices on the skin and wash them away with warm water.
- Tomatoes are very effective on oily skin and clear it in just 1 week.
8. Jojoba Oil:
You might be wondering how oil can aid in clearing the oily skin, but it’s true. Jojoba oil is one such oil that aids in treating oily skin and cures the acne problem. The jojoba oil mimics the sebum on the skin and tricks the sebaceous glands by sending an indication that there is sufficient oil and thereby making them produce less oil. Thus this balances the oil on the skin.
How To Do It:
- Be careful while using jojoba oil as a little jojoba oil can go a long way, and too much of it can even worsen the skin condition.
- Just take 2-3 drops of jojoba oil and massage it into the skin.
- Do this once daily for a week and see the difference in the texture of your skin.
- Studies have shown that a combination of jojoba oil and healing clay can help get rid of oily skin and its resultant acne in just 1 week.
9. Sea Salt:
Sea salt may lead to excessive dryness in the skin, and hence it is advisable to use it only once a week if you have excessively oily skin then a maximum of twice a week. It is very easy to use sea salt to get rid of the oily skin on the face. This is how you can do that:
How To Do It:
- Take a teaspoon of sea salt and add some water to it.
- Stir it continuously to make a smooth paste out of it.
- Apply this paste to your face and let it dry for 10-15
- Later it can be rinsed off with warm water.
- You can get rid of oily skin in just one application, and the results may last up to 1 week. Repeat every week for the best results.
10. Orange Peel:
Orange peel is extremely useful in getting rid of the oily skin on the face. The orange peel is rich in Vitamin C, and its anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties make it a great combination for treating oily skin and acne. This is how you can use the orange peel on your face:
How To Do It:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of dry orange peel with some milk to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this mixture to the face and let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the peel from the face by washing it with cool water and pat dry your face.
- Orange peel is extremely effective in getting rid of oily skin, the results of which can be seen within a week of use.
The aforesaid is quite a list to get rid of the oily skin from the face. These home remedies for oily skin with a little regular skincare should work wonders. By the way, please let us know which remedy helped you the most? Share your experience with us after using these home remedies for oily skin and share our page if you appreciate our home remedies.
All the home remedies for oily skin, here have been gathered here after getting thousands of reviews from people across the globe and have done wonders for many. In case of any irritation, please discontinue its use.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Question 1: What is oily skin?
Answer 1: Oily skin is acne-prone skin with open pores, pimples, blackheads and a shiny complexion. Oil production is affected by hormonal changes, and hence it is very important that anything that triggers such hormonal changes should be kept under control. When you have oily skin, even the slightest stress can cause a breakout which will stress you further. It’s a vicious circle.
Question 2: What causes oily skin?
Answer 2: Oily skin is medically termed seborrhoea. It is caused when excessive oil is produced by the sebaceous glands within the pores of the skin. Our body undergoes severe hormonal changes during puberty, and other life events due to which the level of androgen rises. These androgens are responsible for causing the top layer of our skin to look oily. When these glands mature, the production of oil rises further making your skin go more and more oily.
Question 3: How can you make your skin less oily?
Answer 3: The following are tips on how to prevent oily skin or how can you make your skin less oily:
- Use oil cleanser. Sounds weird but it’s true. You need an oil cleanser to remove the oil from your skin.
- Avoid harsh cleansers. It may make your skin look dry and clear instantly but is extremely harmful to the skin in the long run as it will dehydrate and deprive your skin of necessary moisture.
- Exfoliate regularly. Removing the dead skin cells and opening the clogged pores helps in getting rid of the oily skin.
- Use a clay mask once a week minimum.
Question 4: Is it good or bad to have oily skin?
Answer 4: Oily skin is not necessarily unhealthy all the time. It’s just that the oil deposit on the skin can cause the pores of the skin to be clogged making it unable to breathe and thereby leading to breakouts. Skin is at its best when it’s neither too oily nor too dry.
Question 5: Why is my face so oily all of a sudden?
Answer 5: Stress shows its immediate impact on the skin. Stress releases a hormone called cortisol which causes a chain reaction in the skin. When too much oil is deposited on the skin, it actually tricks the skin to think that it is dehydrated as water cannot reach the surface of the skin and thereby releasing even more oil. Don’t stress too much and you can easily avoid getting oily all of a sudden.
Question 6: Does drinking water help oily skin?
Answer 6: Drinking lemon water and taking Vitamin B2 can help with oily skin. Drinking ample amounts of water will keep you hydrated and flush out the toxins from the body. Besides, the lemon in the water will flush out the toxins from the blood making the skin bright and shiny. Taking Vitamin B2 is essential as even the slightest of its deficiency can cause oily skin.
Question 7: What hormones cause oily skin?
Answer 7: The real culprit behind the oily skin is the excess production of the hormone called Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is responsible for triggering the sebaceous gland causing them to release excessive sebum which shows up on the face as oily skin.