Hair is a person’s beauty asset, and one is really possessive about the same. But what if you suddenly discover split ends in your locks? Disastrous isn’t it? Did you know that the root cause of split ends lies in your own lifestyle? Also, you don’t need to cut your lovely hair just to get rid of those split ends. In fact, we have numerous home remedies for split ends that will help you get rid of them overnight and tips for you to prevent the split ends from occurring in the future. Let us see how to prevent split ends and also how to fix split ends naturally.
How To Prevent Split Ends from Occurring – Lifestyle Changes:
Split Ends are the layman’s term for trichoptilosis-schizotrichia which means fraying or splitting of hair caused due to excessive heat or mechanical stress. Hence it is possible that you can prevent the split by simply bringing a few changes in your lifestyle.
How To Avoid Split Ends – Do’s and Don’ts:
- Give your hair a regular trimming.
- Providing your hair with the necessary nutrients is very important. Oil your hair at night before every hair wash.
- If you feel that your hair is dry and frizzy then apply a leave-in conditioner
- Let the hair dry naturally and if using a blower use it very gently and at a cool temperature.
- Always use a wide-tooth comb to remove the tangles
- Make minimal use of heating appliances such as straightener, tong machine, blower, etc.
- Avoid tying the hair high at the same place as it will put a lot of stress on that area causing split ends.
- Avoid washing the hair daily else it will make the hair go dry and ultimately end up with split ends.
- Don’t start brushing your hair from the top. This will make the tangles worse, and you actually damage the hair while trying to get those tangles out. Instead, begin brushing your hair from the bottom first, then the middle shaft and finally run the brush from top to bottom.
Effective & Natural Home Remedies For Split Ends:
Split ends in the beautiful locks come as a nightmare, but the good news is that it is possible to get rid of the split ends naturally and in the most inexpensive manner. Most of the ingredients in these home remedies are readily available in our home, so we don’t need to go out hunting for the ingredients required for the remedies. Let us explore some of the most powerful and effective home remedies for split ends.
1. Egg Mask:
The first and the best treatment for split ends is using an egg mask. The egg has been widely used for beautifying the hair, so it is no wonder that it will have a magical effect on the split ends as well. Eggs are a rich source of proteins and fatty acids, which aid in strengthening the hair follicles and make them smooth and less tangled.
How To Do It:
- Egg yolk
- Olive oil
- Whisk one egg yolk and add 1tablespoon of honey and 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil to it.
- Mix all the ingredients well and apply this paste to the damp hair.
- Take care that there are no tangles in the hair already present.
- Let the egg mask sit for 30 minutes before you rinse it off using regular shampoo.
- This mask has a magical effect on split ends which can be visible overnight.
Avocado is a fruit rich in vitamins, iron, potassium, magnesium and various amino acids. All these nutrients aid in restoring life to dull and brittle hair. Besides, Avocado is a rich source of Vitamin H that helps in strengthening the hair and hence it is considered one of the best home remedies to cure split ends.
How To Do It:
- 1 ripe Avocado
- 1 egg white
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Take 1 ripe avocado and mash it
- Add 1 egg white and mix it properly
- Apply this mixture to the split ends and let it dry for 20 minutes
- Wash off with your regular shampoo
- Within 1 application you will find a difference in your split ends. Repeat once every week to avoid getting split ends in future
- Mix together nicely 1 ripe avocado, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Apply this homemade hair mask to your split ends directly and let it stay for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off the hair mask with your regular shampoo and notice the difference in your split ends instantly.
- This mask has a magical effect on the split ends and you can see an instant difference in a single-use.
3. Aloe Vera:
When it comes to home remedies, Aloe Vera leads the list. Aloe Vera gives natural conditioning to the hair and thereby protects them from becoming brittle and dry. Using Aloe Vera on hair helps you avoid split ends in the future. Also, regular use of Aloe Vera will cure other hair problems such as hair loss, dandruff, etc.
How To Do It:
- Aloe Vera leaves
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil/ Castor Oil/Jojoba Oil
- Extract fresh Aloe Vera gel from Aloe Vera leaves
- You can directly apply this gel to the split ends and shampoo your hair after 20 minutes.
- Alternatively make an Aloe Vera Gel pack by mixing 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of any one of the 3 oils – Olive oil, Castor Oil, Jojoba oil.
- Let it stay for 20 minutes and wash it off with a regular shampoo.
- Repeat this home remedy for split ends 2-3 times a week and within a week see the split ends disappearing like they were never there.
Though it may sound weird, the very sauce that you most commonly used as a dressing on your sandwiches can be used to treat split ends as well. The main ingredients of Mayonnaise are egg yolk, oil, and vinegar. These ingredients nourish and moisturize our hair. Besides, vinegar restores the damaged hair by maintaining the pH balance of the hair. Also, the proteins in the mayonnaise prevent the breakage in the hair and help to prevent the split ends.
How To Do It:
- Almond oil
- 1-2 eggs
- You can directly apply the mayonnaise on your hair from the roots to the tip and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Now wash your hair with regular shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Alternatively make a pack by mixing a 1/4th cup of mayonnaise, 1 egg yolk and 2-3 tablespoons of almond oil.
- Apply this hair pack on your hair in a manner that each and every strand of your hair is covered with it and then cover it by wearing a shower cap.
- After 20 minutes wash it off using lukewarm water and then shampoo your hair.
- By regular application of this hair pack, one can cure the split ends in just a week’s time.
5. Shea Butter:
Next on the list of home remedies to get rid of split ends is the Shea Butter. Shea butter is a rich source of healthy fats and contains all the nutrition that is required for healthy hair and skin. Besides, the anti-inflammatory properties of Shea Butter aid in the speedy recovery of the split ends.
How To Do It:
- Shea Butter
- Apricot oil
- Corn starch
- Lemongrass oil
- Rosemary oil
- Wash your hair and apply the Shea Butter to the wet hair directly. You can do this by applying some Shea Butter to your comb before combing your hair.
- Let it dry naturally. This is the easiest way of curing split ends.
- Alternatively, you can make a special oil by mixing 100gms melted shea butter, 20gms apricot oil, 40gms of corn starch, 20 drops of lemongrass oil and 10 drops of rosemary oil.
- Apply this oil on the split ends several times a month until you get the desired result.
6. Banana Mask:
Banana is a well-known home remedy to treat split ends. Banana is rich in carbohydrates, potassium and natural oils that repair the damage caused to the hair really fast. It seals the cuticles and thereby aids in getting rid of the split ends really soon. Also, the natural elasticity of the hair is restored making the hair super silky and soft.
How To Do It:
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons of plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of rosewater
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients together in a blender to make a banana mask.
- Apply this mask to your hair and wait for an hour before washing it off.
- Repeat applying the banana mask on hair twice a week and see the split ends disappearing naturally within 15 days without requiring to get your hair cut.
This is yet another excellent home remedy to treat split ends. Papaya is excellent for the skin, and it has an equally best result on hair as well. Being rich in amino acids and proteins, the hair grows stronger when administered with papaya. It acts as a natural conditioner for our hair making it soft and smooth.
How To Do It:
- Ripe papaya
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Take a ripe papaya and a ripe banana and mask them well.
- To this add 1 cup of yoghurt, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and mix it nicely
- Apply this papaya mask to your hair strands and cover it with a shower cap
- Leave it on for half an hour before you rinse with lukewarm water and mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a papaya mask by mixing 1 ripe papaya, 1/2 tablespoon of honey and 1/2 cup of olive oil and mixing it nicely.
- Apply this mask to the hair for 30 minutes and rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- Both the masks have equally good results on the split ends.
- Repeat it twice a week to see the split ends disappearing in 15 days.
Yoghurt is a highly nutritious food that is good for the body, skin and even hair. It is, in fact, one of the best home remedies for various hair problems including split ends. Yoghurt acts as a natural conditioner for hair which moisturizes the hair well and prevents dehydration. The lactic acid present in the yoghurt helps in getting rid of the split ends naturally without having to cut the strands.
How To Do It:
- 1 bowl of yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Take yoghurt in a bowl and apply it to your scalp very gently.
- Rinse it off for 20 minutes with warm water.
- Repeat this home remedy twice a week initially for 15 days and see the split ends disappear.
- Thereafter you must repeat it once every fortnight to avoid the split ends reappearing in the future.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a yoghurt mask using by mixing all the ingredients mentioned above and applying it to your scalp and letting it stay for 30 minutes by covering it with a shower cap.
- This method is more effective. You can see the split ends disappearing magically within just a couple of applications
9. Coconut Oil:
This is yet another magical ingredient to get rid of the split ends and have smooth and shiny locks. Coconut oil is one ingredient which is readily available in all households, and that’s perhaps the reason we tend to ignore it easily. Coconut oil is a rich source of Vitamin E and it also contains capric acid as well as lauric acid that helps to restructure the damaged hair and repair the split ends. It penetrates the hair shafts very easily and moisturizes and nourishes the hair inside out.
How To Do It:
- Lukewarm Coconut oil
- Take some lukewarm coconut oil and gently massage the hair from the roots to the tips.
- Let the oil get absorbed in the scalp overnight.
- Wash hair with warm water in the morning with a mild shampoo
- See your hair transforming into those lovely healthy locks within just 15 days.
10. Cocoa Butter:
Just like Shea Butter, cocoa butter is also one of the best-known home remedies for split ends. This is because the high quantum of fatty acids in Cocoa Butter aids in treating dry and damaged hair and also cures the split ends. Cocoa butter is highly beneficial for those who have frizzy hair and suffer from the problem of split ends.
How To Do It:
- Cocoa Butter
- Sesame Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Apply a good quantity of cocoa butter on wet hair and gently massage for about 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse after 30 minutes with a mild shampoo
- Alternatively prepare a hair mask by mixing 8 parts of cocoa butter, 1 part of sesame oil and 2 parts of jojoba oil.
- Wet your hair and apply this mask to the split ends.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water and mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can use this mask as a conditioner after shampoo to see lasting effects.
- Regular use of application of this hair mask every alternate day will show positive results in just 15 days.
So the aforesaid 10 are the simplest yet the best home remedies to cure the split ends especially if you are not ready for the chop. Do share our post if you found it useful. Thanks for reading. Stay tuned as we bring to you more such home remedies on various common issues faced by people in general.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Question 1: What are split ends?
Answer 1: The scientific term for split ends is Trichoptilosis. It means the splitting or fraying of hair from the tips which is mainly caused due to excessive use of chemicals on the hairs or mechanical instruments such as iron, tongs, etc.
Question 2: What causes split ends?
Answer 2: Split-ends are caused when the hair becomes frizzy, brittle and dry at the ends. There are various causes of split ends. Exposure to extreme weather conditions may cause the hair to split at the ends. Alternatively, too much use of electronic gadgets on the hair such as blow dryers, tongs, ironing machines, etc. on the hair will cause split ends in the long run. A lot of use of chemical products on the hair such as hair colour will cause the hairs to split.
Question 3: How to get rid of split ends without trimming?
Answer 3: When the hair splits it’s rarely a very clean and even break. The best way to get rid of split ends is to trim your hair from the edges. Nothing else can get your hair back to its natural, untouched form. However, if you do not want to trim your hair, then you might just use any of the aforesaid home remedies. They will help you restore your hair to a great extent.
Question 4: Is it bad to cut your split ends?
Answer 4: Cutting or trimming your hair from the edges is the best way to get rid of the split ends. There are various causes of split ends and hence whatsoever care you might be taking off your beautiful strands, there is a higher possibility of getting split ends if you do not trim your hair on a regular basis. So it’s not bad, but a very good decision to cut your split ends.
Question 5: Do split ends stop hair growth?
Answer 5: Split ends do not stop hair growth. The hair will continue to grow at its regular pace howsoever frizzy or damaged your hair is from the tip. However, you might be feeling that your hair is not growing because of split ends because the split ends could be possibly making your strands break at a speed greater than at what it is growing.
Question 6: Is it bad to split your split ends?
Answer 6: The habit of splitting your split ends can be more dangerous than you might have thought. When you pull a split end into 2, you are ending up doing irreversible damage to your hair. In most cases, splitting of the split ends will end up in the breaking of the hair making the hair strands go thin and uneven.
Question 7: Can you actually repair the split ends?
Answer 7: There are various home remedies that aid in improving the health of the hair and repairing the damage caused by the split ends. But the real truth is damage once done is done forever and nothing will restore the hair. The only thing that can restore the health of the split ends is trimming the split ends. Home remedies can improve the health of the hair, but they will not make the hair like it was before the damage.